One year later: This is Fort McMurray rebuilding

James O’Reilly installed a security camera in his house in case of a break-in, but he never imagined he’d watch his home burn down through that lens.

“As soon as it starts, the video, you can see the smoke hitting the side window,” O’Reilly told Global News.

The video of his “red wall” burning went viral around the world. (Scroll down to see the video.)

HangZhou Night Net

Related

  • One year after Fort McMurray wildfire, experts warn of increased threat

  • One year after wildfire, was the evacuation of Fort McMurray called at the right time?

  • Fort McMurray wildfire: 1 year later, bride who fled the flames reflects on past 12 months

    READ MORE: Homeowner watches his Fort McMurray house burn on security cam

    In the video, you hear the roar of the fire followed by one of his windows breaking because of the heat.

    Moments later, smoke fills the room, and eventually blocks the camera.

    O’Reilly and his wife had just fled Fort McMurray when they stopped to watch the video, live.

    “We had people, whenever we stopped and talk to people about the fires and they would actually mention to us about this house they had saw on fire,” O’Reilly recalled.

    “We’d have to say, ‘that’s our house.’”

    Watch below: James O’Reilly watches his Fort McMurray house burn on security cam

    Their 1974 bungalow in the community of Abasand burned to the ground, but their new home will be ready this summer.

    “The things we loved about this place, we accentuated, where we couldn’t have before.”

    Builders work on a new home in the Beacon Hills area after wildfires last year destroyed most of the neighbourhood in Fort McMurray, Alta. Friday, April 21, 2017.

    THE CANADIAN PRESS/Todd Korol

    The rebuild is well underway all around Fort McMurray.

    Sounds of backhoes digging holes, foundations being poured and hammers are all the soundtrack of the hardest hit communities.

    READ MORE: Fort McMurray wildfire: 1 year later, delayed rebuild underway

    Some 650 building permits have already been approved, after over 2,500 individual homes burned down in the 2016 wildfire.

    Darrin Eckel of Vis-Star Homes says the pace of construction is only going to pick up.

    “We have on our books 30 builds (homes) that we’ve started,” Eckel said.

    “We have about six holes in the ground already (this spring).”

    However, not everyone is coming back to this community.

    Municipal officials estimate 20 per cent haven’t returned after last year’s evacuation.

    READ MORE: Feelings of hope, uncertainty one year after Fort McMurray wildfire

    Empty lots are for sale throughout Fort McMurray as some are taking their insurance money for their homes and leaving.

    But O’Reilly is the opposite. He can’t wait to return.

    He and his wife are counting the days until he gets the keys, knowing it could take years until all of his neighbours return.

    After wildfires destroyed part of the city last year a welcoming sign sits greeting people as they enter Fort McMurray, Alta. Friday, April 21, 2017.

    THE CANADIAN PRESS/Todd Korol

Comments are disabled